2.08.2009

We Don't Beat In Sync

Friday I went to the doctors for what was supposed to be the official first check up for me and Bubley. I was a little taken back because she said that I do not get an ultra sound. Apparently insurance companies will pay for two ultrasounds unless there is some suspected danger to mom or baby. When I asked her if we could do one she said only if we cannot pick up the heart beat. I'll definitely be calling my insurance to verify this. I was so disappointed I didn't get to see the little dancing bean.

She put the little Doppler probe on my belly and picked up the heart beat almost instantly. At first I thought it was my own however I could feel my own heart beating through my chest and definitely could tell this was Bubley's beating completely out of sync from my own. It was very fast. My husband was with me and even banked the beat of the heart in his memory. He did this because our doctor refuses to tell us the BPM because every baby beats differently and may be out of range of normal but still might produce a healthy baby.

Pretty much I'm normal with everything. My husband was so excited and couldn't keep contained anymore. He spilled the beans to six members of his family including his mom. She took the news as we expected. She was elated at the prospects of having her first grandchild in 7 months. We were able to express our concerns about the risks of miscarriage while we're still early in the game. She was very positive though. She called us the next day and made sure that I was resting. That was sweet that she checked in. My sister in law was extremely happy but then she got mad we didn't tell her earlier. But she didn't hold it much against us. :) This will be her first niece/nephew. And after I told her she had a hankering suspicion that I was pregnant. Not sure how she knew. I'm still not sure when I'm going to tell my family. I think when I'm 13 weeks on March 10th I'll feel more comfortable since I'll be in the second trimester.

I'll be calling Monday for my first trimester screening. This is where they asses risks for all sorts of diseases and conditions. I'm scared for this but as my husband reassured me, its better to know in advance so that we can prepare ourselves down the road if we had to care for a child with special needs. At least I'll get to see my baby in a few weeks.

Well that's the news for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment