2.06.2009

Sub Chorionic Drama

After being diagnosed with pregnancy via a stick I peed on, a day later I had a tragic wave of blood wash between my legs while at work. While earlier in the morning I thought it had been weird feeling period cramps. I thought for sure, I'm having a miscarriage and this baby is just not meant to be. I should have never found out I was pregnant. Immediately I went to the Little Company of Mary emergency room at 2pm. DH sat with me for 5 hours before being seen. Around the 2 hour mark of waiting I kept telling my husband I didn't care and I just wanted to leave. I was sure I was having a miscarriage and I just wanted to be at home. I had so many waves of emotion going through me. Around the 3 hour mark of waiting (apparently they were abnormally busy that day) I began to cry. I tried hiding the tears in my husband's overstuffed down jacket but it was useless. A man sitting across from us walked over to me and handed me a tissue. He said, "I'm so sorry you have to go through this while your sick. I've been waiting here since 1pm. Just keep your head up and you'll get through it." That little touch of humanity made me perk up, suck it up, and wait the rest of my time at least without tears.

At 6pm I was ushered into the back room to be examined by the ER physician. He was ultra nice and had wonderful bedside manner. He asked me my pain level which was actually non existent. He sounded hopeful. The nurse drew some blood and then they took be to get an ultrasound. Erie silence was all I heard from the technician. I asked, "do you see anything in there?" Still nothing. Finally she finished up with me and turned the monitor around for me to see, still in silence. I noticed a black blob amongst some white grainy background. I knew nothing about what I was looking at.

They put me in one of the rooms of which were in high demand that day. It made me feel slightly
special. Only to learn I had to do a pelvic exam. Finally the same ER physician came in. In a slightly reserved but optimistic candor he showed me a picture of the ultrasound and said your hcg hormone levels are normal and we see a tiny tear called a sub chorionic hematoma. The tiny little black blob he said was the baby's sac. There was no embryo seen but I had all the signs of a healthy pregnancy....so far.

Despite my rule of not wanting to declare my pregnancy to anyone until the danger zone of the first trimester has passed, I've so far managed to tell quite a few people. My boss and his boss found out because I had to be on bedrest. So far they have been very supportive and excited. I told my two best friends, of course my husband, my mom, three coworkers that already suspected me of being pregnant, and some pregnant girl I ran into in the hallway at work. Oh and another pregnant girl in the kitchen at work. I'm sure there are more people I've told, or inferred to. Ugh.

My next appointment was for Monday after 5 days of bedrest.

No comments:

Post a Comment